- Department of Public Services
- Garbage and Recycling
Garbage and Recycling
Recycling Fee to Begin July 1st on Water/Sewer Bills
The January Buzz included the survey results for the recycling collection survey. As reported, the majority of respondents (75% - 192 responses) prefer to keep curbside recycling and are willing to pay for it, with a collection frequency of either every four weeks or every two weeks. The City Council weighed the survey results carefully and decided to maintain a collection frequency of every four weeks and levy a cost recovery charge of $2.50 per month ($7.50 per quarter) for each service address. The charge will be reflected on water bills beginning July 1, 2021. If you require additional recycling containers for your home or business, please contact Republic Services directly at 269.465.3773. Guidelines are listed below.
- Garbage is collected once per week on Wednesdays
- Recycling is collected every four weeks on normal collection day (see schedule for dates)
- 2023 Garbage and Recycling Schedule
- Place all garbage materials in your garbage cart, and all recycling materials in your cart with the yellow (or light blue) lid. Any materials outside of your cart will not be collected. Contact Republic Services if you need to schedule a special pickup.
- If you do not have a trash and/or recycling cart, you may contact Republic Services at 269-465-3773 or 800-677-1083 or visit RepublicServices.com
- Please have your containers out for collection by 6 a.m. the day of your scheduled pickup.
- Click here for additional information on recycling Republic Services Recycling Requirements
Household Hazard Waste Recycling
Berrien County has set the household hazardous waste collection dates for 2023. Details including a schedule are available on the County’s web site or by calling the County Environmental Specialist at (269) 983-7111 ext. 8234
Below is a listing of acceptable and non-acceptable items
(#1 & #2)
(#3 - #7)
Steel and tin cans
Clear and colored glass
Paper milk or juice cartons
Paint or Oil Cans
Liquids of any kind
Plastic Bags & Bubble Wrap